Monday, January 18, 2010

For I know the plans i have for you, declares the lord, plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future - Jeremiah 29: 11

By Jeremy Montes

I found myself going to the CRC just because i had a pen pal for a couple years and my sister had been previously. I didn't think much about how God might have plans for me or how this trip could effect my life. When we first arrived, i was a little skeptical about my stay because of how hot it was when i first walked off the plane. It was a little hard to breath and i was already starting to sweat. I am the type of person who loves the cold so it was difficult. The first night of sleep was also difficult because i didn't have a fan and was sweating all night. Once i got settled throughout the week, i started to see what God had in store for me. The kids were the most loving people imaginable and greeted me with hugs right away. I felt loved every second of my stay because a child or teenager was always by my side. These children literally had nothing and some had no family at all, yet they were able to love and celebrate life everyday. They treated all of each other like they were born brothers and sisters, their love for one another and God was incredible. God was teaching me a lot through the children. I learned to appreciate every small thing in life more than ever before. They way they loved each other so unselfishly taught me that i really should be doing more for others than i do for myself. "If a man shuts his ears to the cry of the poor, he too will cry out and not be answered." (Proverbs 21:13.) I find that most of America including myself sort of ignore the poverty we have in this world. There are so many people around the world in need, but yet we continue to satisfy just our wants. We need to be more aware of world poverty before a natural disaster like the one in Haiti arrives, because they needed our help way before the earthquake struck. I believe i learned that i want to continue to help people who are less fortunate in anyway i can and the Lord and that he has a miraculous plan for me to do so.

"do not let our love be in word and in tongue, but let it be in act and in good faith." 1 John 3:18

"And a poverty on a global scale, a fragile world with fragile air and fragile water I'm sure they'll put off til tomorrow but I don't wanna wait"

No comments: