Sunday, January 17, 2010

1 Timothy 6:6


Jess's Devotion:

"But godliness with contentment is a great gain."

There are so many striking differences between Sierra Leone and home. Besides the obvious, there's no such thing as a supermarket, reliable electricity or health care, etc; the children are truly alive and there's so much we can learn through the faith they live out. They worship God as if he's a celebrity ... doesn't worshipping God make much more sense than the way we've worshiped um, the Jonas Brothers or Jacob vs. Edward? They truly praise God on New Years Eve ... I tried to explain to them that I usually watch a gigantic sparkling ball drop in New York City. They dance up to the altar full of joy as they give their offering (3 or 4 times each service) ... I usually "accidently" forget my wallet. They speak so openly about all the good God has done in their lives ... evangelism has always been one of my greatest struggles. It seems that these children know what it means to be content while I find discontentment to be such a natural way to live back at home. Shared suffering does bring people together and God does have a special place for the poor:

Though the fig tree does not bud
and there are no grapes on the vines,
though the olive crop fails
and the fields produce no food,
though there are no sheep in the pen
and no cattle in the stalls,

yet I will rejoice in the LORD,
I will be joyful in God my Savior.

Habakkuk 3:17-18

No comments: